The sidewheel steamship Republic claimed a remarkable seafaring legacy including heroic service in both the Confederate and Union navies during the Civil War. She was bound for New Orleans from New York after the conflict when she was lost in a hurricane off the coast of Georgia. The passengers and crew escaped the sinking ship, yet a fortune in coins and much needed cargo sank 1,700 feet to the Atlantic seabed.
Nearly 140 years later, Odyssey Marine Exploration discovered the shipwreck and began the archaeological excavation. Using advanced robotics over 6,000 bottles were recovered carrying a variety of wares including alcohol, perfume, medicine and ink. While many remained intact, a good number were found damaged from the impact and harsh conditions in the deep ocean.
Michele Gould of Purple Cloud Studio has turned these authentic fragments into a stunning line of artisan-crafted fused glass jewelry. Each piece is unique and will vary slightly in shape and color depending on the origin of the glass the creative vision of the artist.
SS Republic Glass on Silk Choker
- The fused shipwreck glass centerpiece is approximately 1" L x 1/2 " W signed by the artist
- Crinkled black silk over wire choker expands to fit most necks with total length of 21"
- Finished with pearl and faceted stone ends
- Certificate of Authenticity
- SS Republic presentation box